As I write this piece on a subject which I have been requested to write on, I get the feeling that this is a major issue that many people face this in our society and there is a need to talk about it.
Let me start by saying that if you have a feeling of emptiness and dejection, then you are not alone and thus there is no need for you to feel that why this happens only to you. Let us first try to understand what is emptiness and dejection and where does it come from before we can think of some possible solutions to overcome such a feeling. Emptiness is a situation that can arise because a loved one has move or passed away, because something that you expected never happened, you feel let down by someone or some act of another person or you may have a feeling that you deserve a lot that you don’t get. But all these situations lead to a feeling that there is no purpose to life or there is no meaning to life. It’s a state where you are neither happy nor sad. This emptiness leads to a feeling of dejection which is not a good state to be for a long time as it turns into depression. The good news is that you can win over this feeling of emptiness or dejection.
Whatever the reason for the feeling of emptiness and dejection, there is one thing which is very clear that it leads to a situation that I call self-Abandonment. As a person you stop loving yourself, you find every reason to start judging yourself, you begin to ignore your feelings, you carry a false sense of guilt that you are responsible for everything that is going wrong in life and finally, as a person you lose your connection with self. This further takes you to a deeper feeling of emptiness and sense of extreme dejection. In such a situation if someone were to ask you how you feel, the abrupt response is that I don’t know. These feelings develop over a period of time as you get pushed in the corner and you may not see the light at the end of the tunnel. You don’t understand how to get out of the given situation given your responsibilities.
Let’s try and see if we can find some solutions to this problem:
1. First and the foremost you need to understand that you are not alone and this a situation that a lot of people are facing and this is reversible for sure.
2. You cannot take the responsibility for everything that has gone wrong in this world or even in your world. Circumstances and situations at times are out of your control and life slips off. You have to do your best given the situation and be very strong. At the end of the day you will come out of it in flying colors.
3. You have to move out of a situation of self-pity and self-abandonment. You have to begin to fall in love with yourself all over again. You are a unique person and there is no one like you and start living your life the way it used to be before.
4. Stop ignoring your feelings, you need to listen to your feelings and bring that emotional balance that is required. Sometimes this can be achieved by putting faith in someone like a friends, son or a daughter or anyone who is a good listener and talk out to them.
5. You need to reconnect with your inner self. During this process of dejection you have lost your connection with the self. You need to rediscover yourself and gain back that energy that is required to move forward in life. Understand that you as a person are as competent as anyone on this planet earth so just move and you will find the power to do everything that you wanted to do.
6. Finally, let’s accept that at times life is going to be very difficult, it will be a challenge to even take care of your responsibilities. You will be looking for help and it will not come but these are the test that one has to go through in life. All you friends and relatives who were there with you may not be there anymore when the bad times come. But hold yourself and keep walking the tough path and show the world that you can do it.
The feeling of emptiness is reversible with appositive outlook. Go ahead and fall in love with yourself and see how things begin to change for you.